In June, we headed up to Idaho for a Dalton/Flynn Family Reunion. I was slightly nervous about the drive since I was 34 weeks pregnant. My ankles were balloons after a weeks worth of driving and walking. I shouldn't have forgotten my compression stockings, they would have looked great with my capri pants and flip flops! The other thing I forgot was our camera! We had to stop off at Walmart and buy a little digital camera.
Ben's entire family was able to be there along with his Grandma Edna, Uncle Larry, Aunt Julie, and Julie's Daughter and four kids. Our first full day in Idaho we went to Yellowstone. Our first stop was the visitor center and Old Faithful.
The visitors center had a craft activity planned for the kids. All Jocelyn and Lincoln needed was some dirt and rocks to keep themselves busy until it was time for the craft. Jo had to find the biggest rock.
She kept trying to pick up the large rock and didn't give up until she did! She is one determined girl!
Once it was time for the craft we went on a short walk off the path down to a river. They were suppose to paint what they thought of when they looked at the river and the nature that surrounded them. Jo painted a few marks of her paper and then lost interest. I was having a hard time holding a squirmy Jo, the art equipment, and balancing myself with my huge belly on a fairly steep hill that slopped down right into the river. Luckily I had family there who noticed I was struggling and offered to help.
Christina found a caterpillar on Madilyn's back and picked it up. Jo spent the rest of the time entertained holding the caterpillar.
After the craft we met up with the rest of the family and did the boardwalk around Old Faithful.
We had lunch and then went into the visitors center to watch a movie and wait for the predicted time that Old Faithful would erupt.
Jo feel asleep on Christina's "Tina's" lap in the movie and unfortunately missed Old Faithful.
It is funny the things that us adults go to see never end up being what the kids are excited to see. Ben and I loved watching the Geyser's and Jo loved the caterpillar and finding big rocks.
Old Faithful
We all enjoyed looking at the wildlife from a safe distance. A Bison and a few Elk was all we were able to see. To be honest, I was perfectly okay that I did not see a bear in person, Ben was a little sad.After Old Faithful we headed back home and stopped off along the way to see a few more geothermal features.
Jo was a really good girl and had lots of hands to hold.
We were able to see some hot springs, the water was so clear and peaceful.
It was so beautiful. I am fascinated by the geology of Yellowstone. I really love learning about Volcanos. If I couldn't have been a nurse I may just have been a Volcanologist.
We saw Mud Pots which were fun to just sit and listen to the bubbling water. This particular Mud Pot was super stinky. I had a difficult time keeping down my dinner. Pregnancy and Sulfur smell does not mix well.
We were also able to see a few more geysers and some fumarole's.
Yellowstone is so large and spread out, which makes it impossible to see everything in two days. What we did see was breathtaking for more reasons than one!
Our world sure is a beautiful place.
Jo stayed awake for the ride trip home, had some dinner, and then crashed for the night.
No comments:
Post a Comment