On Thursday evening, only after her third day of school, I told Jocelyn it was time for bed. She got all frustrated and replied, "Do, I have to just go to school everyday?!" I told her she had one more day of school and then she got a two day break because of the weekend. She was glad to hear that she was going to be getting a break soon. Ben and I had a little chuckle about the conversation that night. Oh Jocelyn, this is just the beginning.
Overall, Jocelyn has been flourishing in Kindergarten. She can sound out 3-4 letter words, she has memorize quite a lot of sight words. Jocelyn took a reading comprehension test at school and scored really well. She was grouped in the "transitional readers" and qualified for an advanced reading group that she gets to go to Monday through Thursday. In the class, they work with her and just a small group of kids to help them learn how to read quicker.
Jocelyn also got tested for the gifted program at school. They are tested in three areas: verbal, nonverbal, and quantitative. To be placed into the enrichment program you have to score in one area 97% or above. Jocelyn ended up scoring a 91% in verbal, 97% in quantitative and a 99% in nonverbal. So, yay, she qualified. Ben and I are really proud of her. We found out from the testing that she has a strength in logical, mathematical intelligence, but she also in visual/spatial intelligence.
We always knew that was logical and good with numbers and math. she is naturally is inquisitive and curious. When she plays she likes to experiment, figure things out, and investigate. Ben and I had figured she would do well in that category. But, we were a little surprised by the 99% in nonverbal. However, once we read the description of the category it made a lot of sense. Jocelyn loves arts and crafts, drawing, building, design and creating things. She is a daydreamer, loves to look at pictures, watch movies, is amazing at puzzles and mazes.
We hope Jocelyn continues to love school and learning. That she continues to do what makes her happy. We are excited to watch all this girl is going to accomplish in life. She is pretty amazing and we just love her to pieces.
No comments:
Post a Comment