On Friday July 15th around 5:30PM we had just finished painting a second coat of paint in the office. We had been preparing to switch the girls to the larger of the two bedrooms and wanted to paint and get new carpet. Jo woke up from her nap and came in to the office to join us. I picked her up and walked out of the office to go check on our dinner. I turned around to say something to Ben and right then I felt a pop and a large amount of fluid soaked my pants and starting pooling on the floor. I quickly turned to Ben and told him my water broke!
We had not been expecting anything to happen that day. I had maybe three random contractions throughout the day. I was 2cm at my OB appointment that week and had been having some contractions on and off throughout the week. Nothing to make us think that the baby would be coming really soon. We were not prepared at all and had to hurry and pack my hospital bag and Jo's overnight bag. We fed Jo dinner and Ben and I showered. Jo went around for the next little while repeating that, "Momma's water broke" while we were getting ready. Ben and I were going to eat dinner as well, but I felt the need that we needed to get to the hospital as soon as possible. While leaving the house I started to feel contractions. I also was nauseated, probably more so from nerves than anything else.
Since I work at the hospital, I was able to pick one of my really great friend and a talented labor nurse, Katharine, to help me through my delivery. She was so great and came in on her day off. I let her know that we were on our way and she met me at the hospital around 6:30PM.
My contractions were getting closer together, about three every ten minutes. They also were building in intensity quickly. I had been on the fetal heart monitor for about 15 minutes and my nurse, Katharine, said that baby was looking great and in just a minute I could get up and walk around. All of a sudden we hear the baby's heart rate start to slow down. We both looked up at the monitor and it continued to stay down around 60 beats a minute (normal heart rate is anywhere between 110-160) for a little over two minutes. This is called a prolonged deceleration and indicates immediate intervention, and is typically associated with fetal hypoxia. Dr. Gilbert was quickly notified and she was there within 5 minutes.
During the deceleration they had me change positions from my back to left and right sides. They also started an IV and gave me a 1000mL bolus of fluid, put me on oxygen, and told me that I had to stay on the monitor. If the baby's heart rate dropped again they were going to check me and make sure there was not a prolapsed umbilical cord. Not long after the first prolonged deceleration another followed. Dr. Gilbert came in and checked me, I was still 2cm with this exam. She informed me that the umbilical cord was not prolapsed. In my ultrasound a few weeks before they told me there was a possibility of a nuchal cord (umbilical cord wrapped around the neck). I had been expecting some variables in the babies heart rate, causing the babies heart rate to drop quickly but also return quickly to baseline, with a nuchal cord. But, I was very surprised and nervous with how things were going.
I was given another 500mL fluid bolus with this second prolonged deceleration. Dr. Gilbert said that sometimes when you lose a ton of amniotic fluid at once it can cause the baby to go into a period of shock. We were really hoping that this fluid bolus would help. If it did not help and baby's heart rate continued to drop without me progressing then I was going to have to get a c-section.
After being on the ball I felt so much pressure and I had them check me again, I was 3cm but baby had dropped down lower and was at a -1 station. I asked for a dose of Fentanyl, short term pain medication through my IV. I had thought that I would go without the epidural with this delivery like I had with Jo. However, it was a completely different scenario and I was struggling with the pain and worry that accompanied this labor. After the Fentanyl wore off I asked for an epidural and received one around 11:30PM.
Which was good because I progressed pretty quickly after my epidural.
I started to feel some pressure a little after 1AM. They checked me and I was complete, ready to push. The respiratory therapist was called, my delivery table was set up, and I was ready to push. I pushed through two contractions (5 times) and this sweet girl came out crying with her hand right up by her ear.
Ben cut her umbilical cord, she was dried off and then placed on my chest for skin-to-skin.
I had a second degree perineal laceration, and two abrasions. The best part about getting an epidural was that I did not feel myself tear, that was the most excruciating pain with Jo I remember with her delivery.
I was nervous about delivering at the hospital where I work...but I have to say it was an awesome experience having my good friends with me along with my supportive husband. I also knew I had a top notch medical team because I hand picked them!
Ben went and picked up little Jo from Kelly's house and brought her in to meet Bridget.
Jo was ecstatic to meet her new little Sister. Every person that came into the room was informed that Bridget was her new baby sister.
No comments:
Post a Comment