Thursday, May 30, 2013

San Antonio Texas Missions

2013 is a pretty big year for Ben and I. We are both now finished with our bachelor degrees, and not only that but we are closely approaching our five year anniversary mark. We have gone on many vacations with family but we have never planned a big trip just the two of us. So, we decided that this was a pretty good year to do just that and celebrate our accomplishments. Ben went on his mission to San Antonio, Texas and has always wanted to go back. He told me if I went back to Texas I would be begging him to move there because it is so great! I think that he must have a bit of "missionary goggles" because it was beautiful however, a place that reaches 96 degrees in May does not sound very appealing to me. Yes, I know what everyone is thinking right now that we are moving to Arizona...but Page's average temperature in August is 96 degrees and it is dry...no humidity. I may not want to move to Texas but I had a blast spending a week there and would love to share all about it!  

Texas is a very prideful state and one of the reasons why is because of its history. There were six missions that were established in Texas in the 1700's five were successful and we were able to visit three of them on our trip.

Mission San Jose




 The Church. Which is still functioning today. I think it would be so neat to attend church each week in a building that has so much beauty and history.
 The Convent.
Catholic church leaders were sent from Spain to convert the Natives to the Catholic religion and eventually hoped to establish a self-sufficient community. The Indians who were converted were mostly Coahuiltecans. They typically lived in small scattered groups, they were hunter gatherers and moved with the seasons.  Many were threatened by other warrior tribes as well as European diseases and ended up seeking food and refuge offered by the missions. This meant they had to leave their way of life and learn how to farm and ranch as well as be converted to a whole new religion. This helped Spain maintain control over the Texas Frontier.

Below is a picture of the where the Indians lived at the mission. 
This is where the community would often have to defend themselves from other tribes who did not accept the Spanish.


The Mission Concepcion 
 This Mission Concepcion was one of the most beautiful in my opinion.

 It is the best preserved and least altered out of all the missions. Most of the wall decorations are the original paintings.
Lastly I must cover the most well known mission...

Mission San Antonio de Valero, or better known as The Alamo.  



The battle of the Alamo was a major event in the Texas Revolution. Every man who fought at the Alamo was killed by the Mexican army lead by Santa Anna. However, this battles was an inspiration to many of the settlers, "Remember the Alamo" and lead many to join the army. This eventually helped lead them to defeat the Mexican army and end the Revolution.

At the Alamo is a line drawn by the front entrance. This is a replica of the line drawn by Lt. William Travis. After drawing this line with his sword he then said to his men, "Those prepared to give their lives in freedom's cause, come over to me!" It is said that all but one crossed over this line. Those men were willing to give their lives so that others could be free.  

1 comment:

  1. Fun! I think, based on the pictures, that the first mission you talked about was my favorite. And I'm with you 100% on the humidity!

    ReplyDelete