Thursday, October 13, 2016

Girls Night

I knew that I was going to enjoy living in Page from the first moment we drove into town for Ben's job interview. Surprisingly I have actually loved living in Page. Even though we only have two grocery stores and my clothes shopping is limited to Wal-Mart and one department store. The most difficult thing about Page is how remote it is, the closest cities are two and a half hours away. Thank goodness for the internet and Amazon Prime! This last year in Page though is really what has made me fall in love with this little town.
Partly because I have my new job at the hospital and I love it....most days. Because we are such a small facility we only have one nurse for med/surg and one nurse for OB. Some days we truly get swamped. For some reason we can never just have one delivery they have to come into the hospital in a group. We can go a week without anyone and then in three days deliver six babies.
I also feel I cannot always have someone else to depend on so I really really have to know my stuff. I am constantly reviewing information and going through scenarios in my head. If something were to go wrong I want to be able to have no regrets and give them the best care.
It can be overwhelming because not only do I have to know medical surgical but, I have to know pediatrics, labor and delivery, postpartum, and OB triage. In another other larger hospitals I would typically only need to know one department.
I feel that this experience has helped me to be a more well rounded nurse.
The other reason I love living in Page is because of the wonderful people. There is a group of awesome girls and we get together every Wednesday night. We go out to eat, have spa nights, get together to chat or play games. Most of us do not have family here so, I feel that these girls and their families have truly become more then just friends. They are my Page family. They help watch and raise my kids with me, they bring me meals when I have a baby and they listen to me complain when I have had a rough day.
I love these girls!
On rare occasions we will get together as families, which is crazy and great all at the same time.
We just went to a birthday party this week and Ben had to leave early. When it was time for me to go someone helped put on Jocelyn's shoes and another person helped me carry everything out to the car and buckled Jo into her car seat. I never even had to ask once for help.
Each Wednesday and Friday we go to story time and a dance movement class at the library. Jo loves playing with all the kids. She loves seeing all the girls kids and playing with them. I really could not have asked for a better group of friends here in Page. We are so blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment