In Flagstaff, right off the main road is a place, Elden Pueblo, that we always have wanted to stop off at, but never got around to it. Finally, on our way home from Williams we decided to stop off and check it out.
It was a really short walk, in fact we never noticed, but you can actually see part of the Pueblo as you are driving by.
Elden Pueblo is the site of an ancient Sinagua village settled around 1070 A.D. The Pueblo is around 60-70 rooms and was occupied for at least 300 years. It is still an active dig site and restoration project.
Like many of the other ruins we have been able to visit they believe this site was part of a major trading system that ran from California to Mexico.
Each room would sleep 3-5 people, and at 60-70 rooms that means this pueblo could have housed approximately 350 people. There were actually two foundations laid in quite a few of the outer rooms of the pueblo where they believed that the people were expanding some of the rooms to have a larger space.
Jocelyn inside one of the rooms of the pueblo. I made her spread out her arms and yell, "I'm in a room." It was the only way I could get her to smile, she was not being very cooperative for pictures.
Jocelyn found a little friend while we were there. A lizard.
She decided that lizard was "hungaray" and tried to feed him pine needles. The lizard did not want to come eat any from her hand, so Ben helped her lay them down so that lizard could go get them later when he decided he was hungry.
We continued on and all Jocelyn wanted to do was turn back to go find her lizard again and see if he had eaten any of his lunch.
We tried to interest her in this awesome stone and she was not quite as intrigued as Ben and I were. This rock is where the sinagua people had made axes and the archeologists who excavated this site even found axes laying nearby that fit right into the grooves on the rock.
I have to say it is pretty awesome how many ruins we live by. Ben and I think it would be neat to build a time machine and travel back to see what these places looked like and how it would have been to live during that time. From what I can imagine, living in this time it sure makes me grateful that I was born in this day. I am so thankful for my house, heating, air-conditioning, grocery stores, my kitchen appliances, clean running water right into my house and my toilet. I am truly blessed!
No comments:
Post a Comment